Wednesday, August 18, 2010

So I dated the CATS...

The Jellicle Junkyard

Last night was fun. I had a great time with the CATS despite we were seated at the upper most part of the Tanghalang Nicanor Abelardo. We even bought binoculars { for 50php each} to have a better and closer view of the stage. Oh well, I guess that's what you get if you only have a ticket worth 1545 Php. But nonetheless, it was indeed worth it.

We were also able to see one of the CATS on a closer view. Yes, they interact with audience regardless from where you were seated, throughout the entire show. Literally, I got amazed when two CATS suddenly appear on our aisle. Both of them looked great on their costume. And their makeups? Whoa! They really looked like cats. Hahaha! I hardly recognized their faces { as if, I know each one of them. Haha!}. Anyway, I love how it was being done. Too bad, we were seated at the center of the row. I was not able to take good photos because both were playful. Those felines also mingled with the audience during the 20-minute intermission. They really got the audience surprised.

Storywise, it was simple -- that is on the night of the annual Jellicle Ball, the CATS meet in the Jellicle Junkyard under the moonlight and wait for the leader of the tribe, Old Deuteronomy. On this night, Old Deuteronomy will select one Jellicle to experience a new life, or reincarnated. All of the CATS volunteer and introduce themselves one after another.

That's when I fell in love with Rum Tum Tugger played by John O' Hara.

This Jellicle one caught each and everyone's attention. Flamboyant - as how we described him, a metro sexual cat who really captivated our hearts. His moves, purrs or even growls scream hotness. There were also a couple of instances where he attempted to draw the audience's attention and as expected, everyone loved that. The entire theatre was filled with crowd's laughter, applause and cheer.

Another thing that I love from the show was the Tagalog translation of Memory as sang by one of the foreign actors during Act 2. I'm not surprised about this anymore as I've read it from other reviews. But hearing it live, I still got amazed on how it was delivered.

With regards to Lea Salonga's performance, it was short yet significant. She played the role of Grizabella, the glamour cat, who used to be the favorite of all but later ostracized when she came back to the tribe. I love how she sang the Memory song at the end of Act 1. On the contrary, I am not that impressed on how she sang Memory during the finale. Yes, it was pitch-perfect. She was greatly applauded by the audience but I don't know why I did not give her my loudest cheer. Maybe she's not into the role that much. Having seen her from CATS, I could say she had done better in Miss Saigon. No offense, but I still prefer her being a former Vietnamese prostitute. Haha!

Cheorography-wise, I enjoyed watching them in cat-like dance. It's a mix of ballet and jazz with some gymnastic moves. I love seeing them dancing so gracefully and that they were able to maximize the entire stage. Well, that's how Broadway should be, right?

The show ended with a round of dances from the entire cast and of course, the never-ending applause and cheer from the audience. Afterwards, we went straight to the lobby for some picture taking and to check the souvenir items as well. Again as expected, the items were costly. The program {with the cast photos & background} costs 500 php. The original Broadway soundtrack from London costs 650 php. Other items cost around 300 php. Don't expect the items to be cheap for a Broadway show.



So I settled for the black CATS logo shirt which costs 800 php. I only bought one for boyfie who's also fond of watching Broadway shows. Too bad he wasn't able to watch it with me though he's still hoping for Phantom of the Opera or Chicago to be the next one. I guess he would never let it pass.

On the lighter note, I guess I also didn't let the event pass without dressing up a little bit. I opted for a dress over my fave trousers. Besides, I wanted to be as colorful as the Jellicles.




dress: Kashieca; shoes: Celine;
cardigan: Landmark; bag: Charles & Keith

Overall, I really had a great time watching it. It was indeed an experience. Can't wait for the next Broadway musical.. of course, with boyfie beside me. Hihi! ;)

photo credit: google

Hugs and Kisses,



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails